SFS Member Axis Animation are recruiting for several posts at the moment. Are you their next star team member? Check out the roles here and at the links:
MID AND SENIOR ANIMATORS
Axis Animation are expanding their animation team and are looking to hire an experienced team for a large TV series for Netflix and a British broadcaster. We are seeking experienced MID & SENIOR ANIMATORS to work alongside studio leads on project based animation teams on an ongoing basis from December 2016.
The Animators primary function is to create high quality character and creature animation for ongoing projects onsite in Glasgow.
- Body Mocap Cleanup.
- Character and vehicle keyframe animation.
- Facial capture implementation and polish.
- Facial keyframe animation.
- Camera layout/Previs.
- Scene caching and clean up.
Accomplished examples of keyframe animation, both character acting and full body.
Thorough knowledge of Autodesk Maya is essential.
Good communication skill and ability to work interactively with production and other departments to solve production challenges.
Strong understanding of the principles of animation, with a keen eye for character pose and staging.
- Good knowledge of cinematography.
- Extensive experience working and editing mocap data.
- Experience with Maya camera sequencer a plus.
- Experience working with Maya Trax and blending animation clip data.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of basic artistic human anatomy.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of basic human kinetics.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of basic real world physics and their application for animation.
- Proven production experience within a team min. 5 years.
LEAD LIGHTING & COMPOSITING ARTIST
Currently Axis are expanding their Senior team and are seeking an experienced LEAD LIGHTING & COMPOSITING ARTIST to join them onsite in Glasgow.
This role requires a skilled Lighting & Compositing artist with a broad background creating high quality shots across a variety of projects.
You’ll be a personable, pro-active, self starter who can motivate and lead the team around you as well as work with the project Director to realise his vision and ensure the standard and quality of lighting is consistently high.
Prior Lead experience is beneficial, however this would be a good opportunity for an experienced Mid or Snr artist to step up. Prior knowledge of Houdini is beneficial with the ability to troubleshoot technical problems, essential. A good understanding of the animation pipeline including pre-production, production and post-production is also beneficial.
The Lead Lighting and Compositing artist will join our team of Lighting/compositing artists working on 3D Projects and will provide technical and artistic leadership for the lighting/compositing artists working on next generation game cinematics and commercial animation projects.
Candidates are required, and must be eligible at time of application, to work on-site in Glasgow.
- Fulfil the creative expectations set by both client and project director Work with CG
- Supervisor to solve creative or technical challenges.
- Identify tools and techniques to enhance already established pipeline.
- Identify areas requiring increased efficiency and communicate such aspects to Head of Department.
- Mentor both artist and junior through creative and technical challenges.
- Receive and act on direction given by the sequence CG Supervisor.
- Expectation to create higher quantity as well as quality of shots compared to more more junior team members.
- Expectation to create master rendering/lighting/compositing files to be used by more junior team members.
- Will generally take on the most difficult of tasks.
- May be required to apply final polish and grading to entire sequence.
- Creating both the exterior and interior lighting within environments and cut scenes.
- Compositing of rendered layers, as well as effects layers from the special effects team.
- A minimum of 5 years proven experience Lighting/Compositing on CG/VFX productions Degree level qualification in relevant subject.
- Strong working knowledge of 3D software, preferably including Maya, Houdini and Fusion.
- A strong creative portfolio and showreel.
- A strong, measurable track record in delivering against project goals.
- A desire and ability to mentor others.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to successfully delegate, mentor and manage people and projects.
- Ability to give help and advice to junior artists.
- Deadline driven.
- Good communicator.
PRODUCER – GLASGOW BASED
Axis Animation is seeking to recruit PRODUCERS on an ongoing basis to work on upcoming next generation game cinematics and commercial animation projects on fulltime as well as freelance contracts of up to 12 months onsite in Glasgow.
The primary duty of the Producer is to manage projects, staying within budget and schedule. They provide the main point for client contact, and are responsible for the overall strategy for a successfully delivery. Along with the Director, and the CG Supervisor, the Producer is one of the key personnel on a project.
The role provides a great opportunity to work with a talented team on exciting projects, whilst managing a production team that can range from a single Production Assistant, to a team of Coordinators and a Production Manager. Problem solving, confident client handling and the ability to see the bigger picture are the key skills for this role.
Producers are under the line management of the Head of Production.
- Resource management across all project departments. Includes internal resources, performance reviews, schedule updates, absence/holiday tracking and negotiating/issuing contracts for outsourced artists.
- Maintaining overview schedule and delivery oversight for all project departments, including the setting of department/project priorities and milestones.
- Serving as the main point of coordination and contact between the day-to-day production team and the project’s senior/management staff
- Manage small team of junior production staff
- Motivate departmental heads/supervisors to ensure quality and stay on schedule.
- Updating Producer tracking document.
- Generating internal progress reports for management.
- Setting up and maintaining risk register.
- Lead project production and dependencies meetings.
Each of these responsibilities will be defined by the project needs.
AN EFFECTIVE PRODUCER
- Takes responsibility for ensuring the problem is solved
- Puts the outcome for the studio as a whole first
- Can both anticipate a problem and either prevent it or limit the damage
- Can see past the noise
- Delegates responsibility effectively
- Responds pro-actively to stress
AN INEFFECTIVE PRODUCER
- Is a passenger on the project, rather than a driver
- Puts their personal objectives ahead of the studio
- Enjoys describing the problem more than solving it
- Gets sucked into office politics
- Believes that only they can keep the project in line
- Passes their stress along to the team
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years experience within a CG related environment.
- The ability to work to tight deadlines across concurrent projects is essential.
- The ability to interact with Directors, CG supervisors, Lead and Technical Artists, to determine creative and technical requirements of projects is integral to this role.
- The ability to problem solve and flag up potential problems is necessary.
- A solid work ethic and positive attitude in the face of challenging situations is vital.
- Attention to detail is essential.
NB: Although experience in a CG / Animation studio is of great advantage in this post it is not essential and applicants who can demonstrate appropriate skills and experience in production will also be considered. Please note all applicants at time of application must have full working rights for the UK and hold an appropriate visa where applicable.